If you have kikuyu lawns at your home, it is very mandatory for you to have an in depth knowledge regarding the maintenance tips. The reason is that this turf is a rather high demanding in terms of maintenance to be in the best condition throughout the year.
Some fast facts that you should know before getting new lawns
- Just like several other recreational grasses, this version is also classified as a warm season lawn grass in Sydney.
- It is worth remembering at the same time that warm season grasses are totally different to Cool Season grasses in the way they grow.
- Cool season grasses at the turf farms grow from seed with a single stem and mostly include various Rye grasses and different Fescue varieties.
- On the other hand, warm season grass grows by runners.
- All of them grow with Above Ground runners or Stolons and once this happens, they spread with both above ground runners and below ground runners that are also called Rhizomes.
- Grasses that grow with both stolons and Rhizomes include names like Green Couch (Cynodon dactylon), Kikuyu (Pennisetum clandestinem) and others like Zoysia, Durban and Seashore Paspalum.
- You need to be aware of the fact that Kikuyu and Couch are also known as Bermuda turf in the markets.
- Both these versions are commonly used in sports and playing field situations.
- The reason is that they both have unmatched quick recovery properties even after heavy use through the Australian winter.
Maintenance tips for Kikuyu lawns
- Just like other warm season grasses, this too requires good quality mowing on a frequent basis throughout the growing season.
- During summers, it should be mowed almost every 7 days and the mower should be set to 25-35 millimetres.
Moreover, it should be fertilised at least at the start of spring and then, one more time in the autumn season.
Getting buffalo grass installed in your lawn or garden is easy, but the harder part is to take its care and maintain it. Although, it is a naturally robust grass that can take its care on its own, but still, maintaining it as per the recommendations would give it a completely distinguished appearance. In this post, we take a look at some maintenance steps to be taken in terms of buffalo turf Sydney.
- Experts say that it will require a good amount of fertilising, almost all-year round.
- Without this and proper lawn care, the lawn can lose its colour, health and vitality.
- Therefore, you should fertilise it every two months with a good quality fertilizer recommended by the suppliers of products and buffalo grass services.
- For this grass, you need to make sure that the fertilizer has Trace Elements, and you should switch to a winter fertiliser for applications in colder months.
Iron Chelate Application
- For buffalo turf Sydney, nothing would be better than application of iron chelate.
- You can use this material once in a year during May and June to experience astonishing transformation in the appearance of buffalo grass Sydney.
- The signs of needing this supplement include the grass looking a little pale.
- According to the experts, nothing would be beneficial for this installation than proper and timely mowing.
- Timely mowing will prevent the overgrowth of thatch and reduce the risk of scalping or lawn damage.
- This step will also slow the runners from creeping into the surrounding gardens.
- Lastly, it’ll promote more green leaf growth – resulting in a more lush and soft lawn.
- Mowing is recommended on a weekly basis for faster growing turfs such as Sir Walter.
- The best results are achieved when the buffalo turf is cut at recommended heights of between 35-65mm.
Buffalo grass, the most popular pasture of Australia and known by the name of St. Augustine grass in North America is basically a warm season turf. The biggest characteristic that differentiates it from others is that it has a relatively softer leaf and the two most popular versions of buffalo grass Sydney are the Shade master and the Sir Walter.
As far as the types are concerned, the buffalo grass suppliers often have two different types to offer. They are –
- The cool season version
- The warm season version
As far as the cool season kind is concerned, you will find the following names included. They are –
In terms of warm season versions, there are several names to include like –
- Soft leaf Buffalo (St Augustine)
- Queensland Blue Couch
- Couch/Green Couch
- Kikuyu Turf
- Zoysia and so on
Some facts to know
- An important information that needs a mention here is that Buffalo and Queensland blue couch differ from all others present in the markets.
- The main difference is that they are built only using above ground runners known as “Stolons”.
- On the contrary, other versions would showcase both, above ground runners or stolons and the below ground runners known as “Rhizomes”.
Maintenance of Buffalo Grass Lawns
- One of the top characteristics is that it is more durable and robust as compared to others.
- You will find it having better tolerance of herbicide sprays and superior green color in winters.
- As far as spraying herbicides is concerned, you should always use selective compositions only.
- These compositions should mainly include active constituents like 200g/L Bromoxynil and 200g/L MCPA.
- One more point to remember is that Buffalo Turf would suffer from bad leaf burn to death, if sprayed with Dicamba based herbicides.
Frankly speaking, if anyone is searching for a perfect type of the grass then there is nothing. There are several types of it, and all of them behave differently according to the climate, soil nature and shades.
Some of them the highly tolerant to drought and frost, some are tolerant to soil acidity and some handles the shades pretty well. Therefore, if you are looking the perfect type of the grass, then it is a myth, however, below mentioned is a list of different types including Buffalo Grass, Buffalo Turf, etc.
Getting Started with the Types
- Buffalo Grass: This is one of the oldest types that is scratchy and dominates the community of shades turfs.
- Matilda: Matilda Soft Leaf Buffalo turf is one of the soft grasses with some of the unique traits of meeting the needs of lawn which see more than normal traffic.
- Sapphire: Sapphire soft leaf buffalo grass is modern soft leaf grass that is best possible option for the lawn. It is pretty soft and good for kids to play and jump over it.
- Palmetto: Palmetto soft leaf buffalo grass is known as the reigning king and it is one of the highest quality of grass. This has lowest thatch level and only grows in full sun.
So these were some of the specifications. Now, when it comes to your selection, keep your head straight and just choose which one do you want.
Lastly, find a best lawn turf dealer and place the order.